ECO-III Benchmarking Study of 140 Hospitals in India has shown that multi specialty hospitals have an average annual energy consumption of 378 kWh/sq.m of built area, which is highest among the commercial buildings.
Also sample studies in hospital sector have shown number of cost effective energy conservation opportunities, which have remained untapped due to several reasons. The major barriers have been low awareness among the management of the hospitals and limited availability of in-house expertise to identify and implement energy saving projects. Good energy management structure can bring in not only an energy efficient culture within the hospital but also provides substantial reduction in energy expenses without compromising on the quality of health care facilities to the patients. In addition, several energy efficient technologies offer major opportunities for energy cost reduction.
- To create awareness on Energy Saving opportunities in Indian Hospitals through continuous information sharing and capacity building
- To create a pool of information on Energy Efficiency Best Practices in Hospitals
- Develop Case studies on Energy Efficiency Best Practices
- Completed six action-oriented energy audits in Government hospitals in Gujarat (Baroda, Surat, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, and Rajkot) in collaboration with GEDA and Public Implementation Unit (PIU) Department of Health And Family Welfare.
- Prepared ‘Energy Efficiency in Hospitals – Best Practice Guide’ that was released by BEE. This Guide has been widely distributed (1000 copies) to several hospitals and other stakeholders. This activity was followed up by a national workshop on ‘Energy Efficiency in Hospitals’ in New Delhi, which was organized with an objective to raise the level of awareness on energy efficiency among the hospital administrators & energy managers and inspire them to implement energy conservation program in their facilities.
Design for Healthy LivingReport on High Performance Hospital PartnershipsENERGY STAR for HealthcareGreen Guide for HealthcareBetterBricks –Energy Efficiency in Healthcare Industry
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE)